Sunday 31 May 2015

Things I Have Noticed

There's been a bit of a gap since last blog, as Les and I have tried to complete the settling in process. I think we're pretty much 'there', with all the packing cases finally empty, most things put away, pictures on the walls etc. However, there is a garage full of stuff we have not been able to find room for and we have to dispose of that over the next week or two. It already feels pretty much like home, and it's hard to believe we have only been here just over 3 weeks.

There has also been a settling in process at work, in the churches. The two Sundays since licensing have not been typical. Last Sunday, Les and I (with Adrian, my colleague) worshipped at 3 of our churches, having been licensed at the 4th the previous week. It was Pentecost, so we had a special Eucharist at each one. Poor Les and Adrian had to hear the same sermon 3 times! It was good to meet so many new friends, though quite a few were away, being a Bank Holiday weekend. I was told afterwards I could stay!

Today, being a 5th Sunday in the month, it was a 'Parish' service i.e. all 4 churches coming together in one place. Today it was the turn of Christ Church, in Cockermouth, so basically back where we started. Adrian has been away this week, so I co-led with one of our lay worship leaders, and this seemed to go very well. (You will be able to hear the sermon on the Team website later - www.cockermouthareachurches.org.uk/) Once again, we were warmly welcomed.

Living in Little Broughton, I have committed myself to taking their midweek communion every Thursday. Coincidentally, this happens at the same time as St Barnabas, Penny Lane so it's good to have that connection. I have also taken a funeral there and in July will take the wedding of the grand-daughter of the man who had died. My first wedding, however, will be at All Saints next Saturday. I am looking forward to that.

There are a number of things I have noticed here:

  • Birdsong. It is loud and tuneful, especially early in the morning. On our first morning here, I was wakened before 5am. I wish I could recognise all the different tunes. That is something to work on: I like to think they are all joining in creation's chorus of praise.
  • Hills. Stating the obvious, I know, but it's not just the landscape. It is the way it is constantly changing according to the time of day, weather features etc: sometimes dappled in sunlight, sometimes dark and brooding behind the clouds.
  • Accent. The Cumbrian accent is taking some getting used to after 40 years of Scouse! At the funeral reception, one elderly man spoke to me in an accent so thick I couldn't make out a word he was saying. I think that he was being mischievous, on hearing where I was from! There are some new words to learn and I'm interested by the way 'eh' comes into speech, and a soft 'r'.
  • People. Without exception, people are amazingly friendly. But a local told me I would need to make an effort to smile and speak to everyone, otherwise they might think I was stand-offish. Consequently, Les and I greet everyone, whether we know them or not. Trouble is, most people seem to know us even if we don't know them.
  • Village life. We have been warned that everyone will know our business! When we go out, when we get home, when we do our washing, who we have spoken to etc. And 'be careful what you say - everyone is related, or was at school with so-and-so, so word will get back!' This was illustrated last week: I was in the local bookshop. One of the staff introduced herself to me as a neighbour up the road, whom I had greeted in her garden a few days previously. I couldn't remember, I must admit. She gave me her name; I said, 'I'm Godfrey'. 'I know,' she said.
  • Singing. The singing at worship is excellent. None of the churches has a choir, but the congregations more than make up for this. One church doesn't even have an organist, but manages with CDs - a mixed blessing! Last week, I asked Les to come out of retirement and play her guitar for one song. That was appreciated.
  • Mobility between churches. There are quite a number of different churches in a relatively small area. It is noticeable how people migrate from one church to another, for a variety of different reasons, and they bring with them something of the style and culture of their previous church. Christ Church, where we were this morning, has a particularly mixed membership.
It's all very different. Smaller scale, slower pace, more travelling - the funeral last week involved a trip to Carlisle Crematorium, 40 minutes away. And several of our church members live some way away, though not in our village where many are lifelong residents.

And speaking of migration, it is desperate to see and hear of the plight of those fleeing from war-torn and poverty-stricken countries in North Africa and Eastern Europe. I suppose you could say I am a migrant myself (originally from the South of England!) - as many of us are, in this sense - and there is nothing new about mass migration as a result of war and poverty. What seems to be different about the current situation is the scale of it, which threatens to overwhelm countries like Italy. I guess this has something to do with global news media which makes even the poorest people aware of a possible better life elsewhere.Somehow, in our wealthier countries we surely have to change our attitude: recognise the desperate need of these fellow human beings, and unite to help them. Who can say we would behave any differently if we were in their situation? It is part of our human nature to seek a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment